PERMANENT MARIAPOLIS “EL DIAMANTE” (4 OPTIONS)
Where is it?
The Mariapolis El Diamante (state of Puebla-Mexico) is located in a rural peri urban area of the municipality of Acatzingo, 2 km from the city of the same name which has 30,000 inhabitants, and is 40 km from the city of Puebla and 170 km from Mexico City (Ciudad del Mexico).
The little town of “El Diamante” wants to bear witness to the world of a society renewed by mutual love where everything circulates as a fruit of communion.
It was born with the aim of being a center of human and spiritual formation, inspired by the charism of unity and universal fraternity. It serves the entire region of Mesoamerica. It is a place where one can discover him or herself, make experiences, develop his or her personality, and engage in the search for universal fraternity: where cultural, generational, social and spiritual diversity is not a barrier but a richness for an authentic intercultural coexistence.
Communities with which the volunteer will work
Today there are around 45 people living permanently at “El Diamante”, including young people, adults and families. It is a place visited every year by 15,000 people. From the closest areas to other Countries of Central America, they come in search of an integral formation (mind, hands, heart and spirit) through congresses, seminars, retreats, conferences and life groups that meet weekly. Usually the months of July, August and September are the ones with more visitors.
What Mariapolis El Diamante does?
One of the main activities carried out in “El Diamante” is the organization of these events and the welcoming of visitors in its centers. There is also a pastry shop, a screen printing and crafting atelier, and a carpentry workshop. There is also a school for children from kindergarten to primary and secondary levels.
For this reason, the volunteer’s service may take place in three areas:
- The area connected to El Diamante’s nearest surroundings, such as the municipality of Acatzingo and other neighboring municipalities. Also, several cities in the state of Puebla and the Puebla region.
- The area represented by the Republic of Mexico as a whole.
- The largest area that is the entire territory of Central America
ACTIVITIES FOR THE VOLUNTEERS
This little town offers the following options for volunteering. You can choose the one closest to your professional and human interests, according to your available time and financial resources.
Period between 2 and 6 months (between July and December):
- Develop a website for the permanent Mariapolis.
- Support work in the kitchen area and the dining hall.
- Prepare the procedure manuals for the kitchen and the dining room.
- Propose, design and build recreational and sports spaces in the Mariapolis, both for its inhabitants and for visitors.
- Make a project for the conversion of the Mariapolis, with its 13 hectares, into an ecological place: management of a jagûey, composting, ecological toilets, treatment of waste and water, etc.
- Working in the preparation of artisan pastry
Period between 6 and 10 months (between August and May):
These are volunteer options in socio-cultural projects that have the same inspiration as the El Diamante little town, but are outside its structures. The volunteer would live in the Mariapolis, but the activities would be outside of it.
- Santa Maria School, located 15 minutes’ walk from “El Diamante”. Educational activities with children and adolescents of primary and secondary schools.
- Kindergarten Juan Pablo II. Activities with children between 0 and 6 years.
- Art for art. Atelier specialized in the remodeling of sacred art and dedicated to the decoration of various spaces.
Volunteer time: from 2 to 10 months
Board and lodging: To be agreed with the Mariapolis.
Language: Spanish (basic)